miércoles, 7 de noviembre de 2007

teacher breakfast

we had a breakfast with our teachers last thursday in which we discussed our roles on the team. each of the corps members stood up and said, this is what i do when i am not in your classroom. i feel like, i do a lot outside of the classroom. last week there were two nights that i left the office at 9:30 and then 10pm. this week, as of yet, has been much better due to the fact that i left on monday at 5pm! read that, FIVE pm, BEFORE SIX PM. and i was out of the city of boston by 7pm and sitting down to eat dinner (delicious, home-made dinner) before 8pm, which is when i would've normally left the office on a monday.

yes, city year is eating me alive. sometimes i don't like it. other times i am the one pushing myself to stay late and do work that i need to do because i am committed to it. but one of my goals is to not be at the office late every night and so far i have succeeded mostly.

my kids are enjoying the math that i teach them in the mornings, i did the 24 game on tuesday of this week and today i showed them how to recognize numbers that are evenly divisible by three. there is supposed to be a packet of math that i am supposed to teach them from, but my teacher hasn't given it to me so basically, i make up things on the spot and get them to compete against each other, or push them to come up with multiple solutions in groups at their tables. i am a fan of group work. i don't think they get enough opportunities to work as a group. as such, most of the math work they end up doing for me is done in a group.

i also made myself a new wallet (since my last one was either stolen or lost) out of clear tape with paper inside of it, so it looks pretty stellar from the outside (like a collage). it only took four hours, which i think is not bad, considering i haven't made a duct-tape wallet or anything of the sort in so long.

1 comentario:

Helen dijo...

If you weren't already my hero, that last paragraph would have tipped it for me...seriously!

You work too hard.