martes, 18 de marzo de 2008

words on routine

we've fallen, most of my team, into a jaded state, where we don't really believe in ourselves and sometimes think of ourselves as the victims of the very system we are struggling to defy.

its disconcerting, but it must come with the routine of our every day lives. while each day holds the potential to be beautiful and different when taking into account each and every wonderful detail, i think of the larger, ok this block of time is literacy, this block of time my teacher will most likely send me out to make copies of things he didn't do himself, etc. and it gets me down. and then i don't even spend that much time with my small 5th graders anyway because when i do get into the classroom, i get sent out to make copies. that doesn't really make me feel engaged in any way, shape or form in the experience. sometimes i don't even go to class because i know i'll get kicked out to make 100 worthless math busy work packets for the 5th grade (two of each kind) which will take me forever because the machine ran out of staples or the machine itself isn't working or it overheats, etc. yes, this would take up my teacher's time during the day, but that's why he stays after... or is it? i know i'm not being fair sometimes and that teachers don't have all the time in the world, but i wish i were being used wisely as an instrument for the students and not for my teacher.

1 comentario:

Helen dijo...

That is so crazy frustrating and I'm sorry that it has to be that way. Don't they know how much more you could do?