lunes, 8 de octubre de 2007

long week


right so i went to rhode island last night with anthony perry (wm '05) to go to st. georges because we had the day off today (yay for día de la raza). we had opening day, and i have pictures of that as well, but the photo to the right is a building from the st. george's campus.

opening day was incredible. there was so much energy in fanueil hall that it was ok that i didn't get any sleep in the days leading up to opening day because of step and all of our other commitments. but it was great. the rush was so fabulous. it was the first day that we were all in full uniform almost (except for a few people, like 2). our step was amazing, we got rave reviews, our PT crew was on point, fanueil hall's bottom floor was packed and i was smiling the ENTIRE time. my team repped a lot, since i was in the step routine and matt received the hammer of service from his brother and then we were clearly the BEST TEAM EVER. our team sponsor representative came from upromise came and i got to hang out with him at the champions reception before the opening day ceremony. good times were had by all.

my parents came out to the service day. my dad has a thing about bugs and etc, but my mom came out to the service site all the way to the place where we were painting railings. we had the best service site, the view was incredible and it was really gorgeous.

so overall, opening day was great, really tiring. we had a party to celebrate opening day that next night after i got back from being in springfield, mass with my parents and that was also really tiring.

then we had our first full week of service. i was not prepared. at all. for the terror of fifth grade. i looked forward to the field trip we had this week (apple picking somewhere in massachusetts that reminded me of the outskirts of where i live) because it meant i wouldn't be holed up in a classroom with them. as crazy as my kids are, they really are my kids, and that realization truly hit me this week when i was helping brian with long division afterschool on wednesday. brian is a fifth grader in my class at the trotter. he has very neat handwriting and he knows a lot about sports history. he claims that he forgets things easily, but i did so many practice long division problems with him that i hope he doesn't. my hope is that i have a few starfish this year. starfish are like stories that demonstrate lots of progress in a life. i'll have to come up with a better explanation than that but for right now that's all i got. alright, so i am working on translating some starfish corps documents for the starfish working group, so i better get back to that.

starfish corps- our afterschool program for second through fifth graders that runs mid-october through the beginning of june and focuses on developing literacy and civic values through hands-on service projects and building community awareness.

1 comentario:

Helen dijo...

I am so proud of you! I wish I could have seen your step. I bet it's so good. Is it on YouTube? You are a stud! If I were 10, I would want to hang out with you...no doubt! Heck, I'm 22 and I want to hang out with you!